Friday, August 21, 2009

Banana Boats - The Fruity S'more

This is a Campfire Cookin’ idea that came from readers. I had never heard of banana boats until I had two readers independently describe them to me.

When I first heard about them I thought the whole idea sounded kind of gross. I wasn’t convinced that the banana would come out of the fire in an appetizing way. I’m not a big banana fan under normal circumstances, so I had my doubts about a fire roasted one. Well let me tell you, I tried them and I’ve changed my tune. They’re fantastic.

Banana Boat on the Campfire
Banana Boat on the Campfire

Here’s a little rundown on how to make them. Cut the ends off a banana and slice it, skin on, along the inside curve. Fill the slit with alternating bits of marshmallow and chocolate. Wrap the whole thing in foil and stick it in the fire for about 6 minutes, turning once. Eat it straight out of the foil. The banana skin forms a boat to contain the goo.

It Tasted Better than it Looked
It Tasted Better than it Looked

We made them twice on our most recent trip. The first time we used squares of Dairy Milk. Excellent choice. It was nice and sweet and melted beautifully. The second time we made them we were on the American side and we couldn’t find Dairy Milk. We had to substitute squares of Hershey. It didn’t work quite as well. I found Hershey didn’t melt as nicely; in fact mine ended up burning slightly. The banana boats also ended up with Hershey’s signature bitterness, which I am not fond of. My advice to all of you out there (if you are indeed out there) is to experiment to find your favourite combination. I will share a tip though. We smothered the finished product in caramel sauce. That made it magic!

N.B. this post has been moved over from it's original location at Cottage On Wheels.

No comments:

Post a Comment